OCG 2021.10 Metagame Report #5
Welcome to Week #5 of the OCG 2021.10 format.
This report will cover 138 top-performing decks from 23 tournaments that were held in Japan and mainland China during 23 October – 3 November 2021.
- 38 Phantom Knights (33 Destiny HERO Brave Phantom Knights, 4 Danger Phantom Knights, 1 Brave Danger Phantom Knights)
- 14 Floowandereeze
- 12 Eldlich (8 Eldlich, 2 Brave Eldlich, 1 Grass Destiny HERO Eldlich, 1 Grass Destiny HERO Brave Eldlich)
- 12 Prank-Kids (9 Brave Prank-Kids, 3 Destiny HERO Brave Prank-Kids)
- 11 Swordsoul (5 Swordsoul, 3 Tenyi Swordsoul, 2 Destiny HERO Swordsoul, 1 Destiny HERO Tenyi Swordsoul)
- 7 Brave Swordsoul Yang Zing Tenyi
- 5 @Ignister
- 4 Adamancipator
- 4 Shaddoll (2 Grass Destiny HERO Invoked Shaddoll, 1 Destiny HERO Invoked Shaddoll, 1 Grass Destiny HERO Brave Frightfur Shaddoll)
- 3 Drytron (2 Drytron, 1 Destiny HERO Drytron)
- 3 HERO
- 3 Tri-Brigade Lyrilusc
- 2 Brave Virtual World
- 2 Destiny HERO Sky Striker
- 2 Destiny HERO Zoodiac Tri-Brigade
- 2 Dinosaur (1 Destiny HERO Dinosaur, 1 Dinosaur FTK)
- 2 Phoenix Brave
- 2 Salamangreat
- 2 Zefra
- 1 Agent Fairy
- 1 Destiny HERO Invoked
- 1 Destiny HERO Orcust
- 1 Dragon Link
- 1 Evil★Twin
- 1 Rikka
- 1 Speedroid
- 1 SPYRAL
Kinnikuso (きんにくそ) went 8-0 (excluding 1 bye) and finished 1st in “No-Face CS” which had 48 participants.
He ran 2 Droll & Lock Bird in the Side Deck, which can be used against Destiny HERO Brave Phantom Knights, Drytron and also Floowandereeze.
Level 1 Floowandereeze monsters ① effect is a “then” effect, which means that the first part has to resolve successfully before they can perform the Normal Summon of 1 Winged Beast monster. For example, the opponent Normal Summons Floowandereeze & Robina and activates its ① effect, adding Floowandereeze & Eglen and then Normal Summoning it. Floowandereeze & Eglen ① effect would trigger in a new chain, and you can chain to its effect with Droll & Lock Bird. Resolving the chain, Droll & Lock Bird effect would apply and prevent either player from adding cards from deck to hand, then Floowandereeze & Eglen effect would resolve. But since Floowandereeze & Eglen is unable to add 1 Level 7 or higher Winged Beast monster from deck to hand due to Droll & Lock Bird, the second part of the effect to Normal Summon 1 Winged Beast monster is also not applied.
Droll & Lock Bird is able to disrupt Floowandereeze by blocking them from searching and also stopping their Normal Summon. However, Droll & Lock Bird activation cost requires it to be sent from hand to graveyard, and thus would not be able to activate while the effect of Dimension Shifter is applied.
Osaka Takeshi (大阪たけし) went 5-2-1 (excluding 1 bye) and finished 3 – 4th in “No-Face CS” which had 48 participants.
Floowandereeze and the Journey Preparations is the new addition to Floowandereeze deck and has managed to propelled it to the forefront of the metagame. Most players have chosen to swap out 3 Book of Moon to make space for 3 Floowandereeze and the Journey Preparations.
Book of Moon primary function in Floowandereeze is as a counter measure against Effect Veiler and Infinite Impermanence. By chaining Book of Moon to the opponent’s Effect Veiler or Infinite Impermanence to set the targeted monster, it would cause them to lose target and allows that targeted Floowandereeze monster effect to resolve successfully. While a facedown Level 1 Floowandereeze monster could still be used as Tribute for a Tribute Summon, it would not be banished when it leaves the field, and thus could not be added back to hand when a Winged Beast monster is Normal Summoned.
Floowandereeze and the Journey Preparations is a Quick-Play Spell and could also fulfill the same function. When a Floowandereeze monster is targeted by Effect Veiler or Infinite Impermanence, Floowandereeze and the Journey Preparations can be activated in a chain by banishing that Floowandereeze monster as its activation cost. Effect Veiler and Infinite Impermanence would lose target and the Floowandereeze monster effect will resolve successfully. Since the Level 1 Floowandereeze monster is banished, it can be added back to hand when a Winged Beast monster is Normal Summoned later.
On Saturday, Shino (しの) went 6-1-1 and finished 2nd in “Asaka Cup (3v3 Team Battle)” which had 31 teams (93 participants). On Sunday, he went 5-3 and finished 2nd in “5th (a-sports) Analog Sports CS” (3v3 Team) which had 50 teams (150 participants).
His build is primarily tuned against Destiny HERO Brave Phantom Knights. Rivalry of Warlords and Gozen Match would block them out when they open with Rite of Aramesia and become locked in with a EARTH Fairy “Brave Token”. Lava Golem and Volcanic Queen in the Side Deck allows him to clear the opponent’s Destiny HERO – Destroyer Phoenix Enforcer and Wandering Gryphon Rider when going second.
Feri (World Championship 2018 Japan Representative) went 5-3 and finished 2nd in “Asaka Cup (3v3 Team Battle)” which had 31 teams (93 participants).
He ran 2 Token Collector in the Side Deck against Brave Tenyi. In addition to the “Brave Token”, Brave Swordsoul Yang Zing Tenyi deck also runs Number 42: Galaxy Tomahawk and Mecha Phantom Beast Auroradon to generate Tokens for their Synchro Summons.
Yoshishin (ヨシシン) went 6-0-2 and finished 1st in “Asaka Cup (2v2 Team Battle)” which had 35 teams (70 participants).
He ran 1 Archnemeses Protos in the Main Deck against Phantom Knights. Archnemeses Protos can be accessed by using Swordsoul Grandmaster – Chixiao ① effect to add Swordsoul Emergence from deck to hand, and since you control a Synchro Monster, Swordsoul Emergence can be used to add 1 Wyrm monster instead. Archnemeses Protos ② effect can be activated by declaring its own Attribute DARK, destroying all DARK monsters on the field, and making neither player be able to Special Summon monsters with DARK Attribute until the end of the next turn, effectively locking out Phantom Knights monsters and Destiny HERO – Destroyer Phoenix Enforcer.
Although this strategy of using Archnemeses Protos was already seen back in OCG 2021.07, it became much more relevant now due to the high popularity of Phantom Knights.
Phantom Knights remains at the forefront with a dominating lead this week. Trailing behind are Floowandereeze and Eldlich which have caught up to Prank-Kids and Swordsoul.
If you enjoyed these Weekly Metagame Reports, consider supporting Road of the King on Patreon. Cheers!
- 2021-11-03 | 4th Asaka★Goyusai (5v5 Team Battle)
- 2021-11-03 | No-Face CS
- 2021-11-03 | 11th YCCS in Chiba
- 2021-11-03 | 54th Next Play Cup
- 2021-10-31 | Asaka CS (2v2 Team Battle)
- 2021-10-31 | 11th Hagetaka CS
- 2021-10-31 | 2nd Iburi CS
- 2021-10-31 | 43rd Yu-Gi-Oh! Shin-Kurashiki CS (3v3 Team Battle) (1st: A, B, C | 2nd: A, B, C)
- 2021-10-31 | 5th (a-sports) Analog Sports CS (1st: A, B, C | 2nd: A, B, C | 3rd: A, B, C | 4th: A, B, C)
- 2021-10-31 | 61st Taiyo CS
- 2021-10-31 | 13th Echigo YCS 3v3 Team Battle
- 2021-10-31 | Mikaze CS
- 2021-10-31 | Langmu Yu-Gi-Oh! Halloween Tournament
- 2021-10-30 | Asaka Cup (3v3 Team Battle)
- 2021-10-30 | No-Face CS
- 2021-10-30 | Natadeco Cup (2v2 Team Battle)
- 2021-10-30 | 12th Echigo YCS Individual Battle
- 2021-10-30 | 2nd Sendai Manji CS
- 2021-10-30 | Cardbox Nipponbashi Renewal 1st Anniversary Tournament
- 2021-10-30 | Peco CS
- 2021-10-30 | Huoguoyang Cards Ranking Tournament
- 2021-10-30 | Qidian Cards Ranking Tournament
- 2021-10-30 | Evening Stars Cards Ranking Tournament