OCG 2020.10 Metagame Report #8
Welcome to Week #8 of the OCG 2020.10 format.
This report will cover 66 top-performing decks from 11 tournaments that were held in Japan during 21 – 24 November 2020.
- Structure Deck: Ice Barrier of the Frozen Prison
- V Jump January 2021 promotional card
- Attendant of the Ice Barrier
- 13 Virtual World
- 11 Eldlich (7 Eldlich, 3 Grass Zombie Eldlich, 1 Dogmatika Eldlich)
- 6 Dogmatika Invoked
- 4 Shaddoll (3 Dogmatika Shaddoll, 1 Grass Dogmatika Magistus Shaddoll)
- 4 Danger Dark World Tempest Magician FTK
- 3 Prank-Kids
- 3 SPYRAL
- 3 Thunder Dragon (2 Chaos Thunder Dragon, 1 Thunder Dragon)
- 3 Zoodiac
- 2 Beast
- 2 Dragonmaid
- 2 Orcust
- 1 Dogmatika Dinosaur
- 1 Drytron
- 1 Fluffal
- 1 Megalith FTK
- 1 Numeron
- 1 Mythical Beast Endymion
- 1 Phantom Knights
- 1 Sky Striker
- 1 Zefra
- 1 Zoodiac Tri-Brigade
Hanereon (ハネレオン) went 7-2 and finished 2nd in “Asaka CS (Individual Battle)” which had 61 participants.
Virtual World deck build has largely been figured out and there is only 1 or 2 flex spots in the Main Deck, typically taken up by Triple Tactics Talent. Harpie’s Feather Duster was traditionally ran in the Side Deck, but some players are now shifting it to the Main Deck to improve the Eldlich match-up for Game 1.
On Saturday, Cherenko (チェレンコ) went 7-1 and finished 1 – 2nd in “2nd Adachi CS in Saitama Kamifukuoka” which had 37 teams (111 participants). On Sunday, he went 6-2 and finished 1 – 2nd in “3rd Adachi CS in Saitama Kamifukuoka” which had 37 teams (111 participants). This brings his overall record to 13-3.
He ran a build teched against Virtual World that cuts out all Skill Drain for Summon Limit and Torrential Tribute. While this is an extreme edge case, most Eldlich builds are running Skill Drain alongside Summon Limit or Torrential Tribute.
Fusuke (風助) went 6-1 and finished 2nd in “Purgatrio Cup” (3v3 Team) which had 20 teams (60 participants).
Pot of Prosperity has become the standard build for Dogmatika Invoked. Among the 6 Dogmatika Invoked decks that topped this week, 5 of them are running Pot of Prosperity in the Main Deck, while only 1 chose to run Spellbook of Knowledge.
One of the issues that Dogmatika Invoked faced is that both themes are not intrinsically linked. Often there would be opening hands with only one half of Invoked or Dogmatika, and there is no reliable method to fetch the other half, resulting in a subpar opening setup. Pot of Prosperity increases the consistency of having both Invoked and Dogmatika in hand to setup the optimal opening board.
Towards the end of the OCG 2020.10 format, Virtual World and Eldlich has secured their position as the top two decks to beat. Although Virtual World and Eldlich have more tops then the rest of the decks, the disparity in power level between the top decks are relatively small. Looking at their winning percentages, they do not have a significant advantage.
Their deck build has largely been optimized, with only minor variations made to improve their Game 1 against each other. Virtual World started running Spell/Trap destruction such as Harpie’s Feather Duster and Lightning Storm in the Main Deck to improve their Eldlich match-up, while Eldlich started running Summon Limit and Torrential Tribute in the Main Deck to improve their Virtual World match-up.
If you enjoyed these Weekly Metagame Reports, consider supporting Road of the King on Patreon. Cheers!
- 2020-11-22 | Purgatrio Cup (1st: A, B, C | 2nd: A, B, C)
- 2020-11-22 | Asaka CS (2v2 Team Battle) (1st: A, B | 2nd: A, B | 3rd: A, B | 4th: A, B)
- 2020-11-22 | Cho! Ryusei no Arashi Cup Individual Battle
- 2020-11-22 | 9th Kagoshima Yu-Gi-Oh! Championship (KGCS) (1st: A, B, C | 2nd: A, B, C)
- 2020-11-22 | 2nd Nochira CS 3v3 Team Battle (1st: A, B, C | 2nd: A, B, C | 3rd: A, B, C | 4th: A, B, C)
- 2020-11-22 | 3rd Adachi CS in Saitama Kamifukuoka (1 – 2nd: A, B, C | 1 – 2nd: A, B, C)
- 2020-11-22 | 7th Oguibento CS 2v2 Team Battle in Aomori
- 2020-11-22 | 5th Tsu Cup in Tsu CB (1st: A, B, C | 2nd: A, B, C)