OCG 2021.10 Metagame Report #0
Welcome to Week #0 of the OCG 2021.10 format.
This report will cover 161 top-performing decks from 32 tournaments that were held in Japan and mainland China during 14 – 29 September 2021, played under the new OCG 2021.10 Limit Regulation.
- V Jump Fall 2021 subscription bonus
- Motor Shell
- Leraje the God of Archery
- Puppet Queen
- V Jump November 2021 promotional card
- Propitious Warrior Lady
- World Premiere Pack 2021
- 24 Phantom Knights (22 Destiny HERO Brave Phantom Knights, 2 Danger P.U.N.K. Phantom Knights)
- 20 Tri-Brigade (13 Destiny HERO Zoodiac Tri-Brigade, 7 Destiny HERO Tri-Brigade)
- 19 Prank-Kids (15 Brave Prank-Kids, 4 Destiny HERO Brave Prank-Kids)
- 15 Swordsoul (13 Destiny HERO Tenyi Swordsoul, 2 Destiny HERO Swordsoul)
- 10 Drytron (5 Destiny HERO Drytron, 4 Drytron, 1 Grass Drytron)
- 9 Adamancipator (4 Adamancipator, 3 P.U.N.K. Adamancipator, 2 Scrap Adamancipator)
- 7 Eldlich (4 Eldlich, 2 Destiny HERO Eldlich, 1 Brave Eldlich)
- 6 Zefra
- 5 Sky Striker (4 Destiny HERO Sky Striker, 1 Sky Striker)
- 4 Brave Virtual World
- 4 Phoenix Brave
- 4 Salamangreat (2 Salamangreat, 2 Destiny HERO Salamangreat)
- 4 Shaddoll (3 Grass Destiny HERO Dogmatika Invoked Shaddoll, 1 Grass Destiny HERO Shaddoll)
- 3 Dinosaur (2 Scrap Dinosaur FTK, 1 Destiny HERO Dinosaur)
- 2 Brave Swordsoul Yang Zing Tenyi
- 2 Danger Dark World
- 2 Destiny HERO Agent Fairy
- 2 Floowandereeze (1 Floowandereeze, 1 Dogmatika Floowandereeze)
- 2 HERO
- 2 Magician
- 2 Orcust (1 Orcust, 1 Destiny HERO Orcust)
- 2 Tri-Brigade Lyrilusc
- 1 Brave Dragon Link
- 1 Code Talker
- 1 Destiny HERO Chaos Thunder Dragon
- 1 Destiny HERO Dogmatika Invoked
- 1 Destiny HERO Dogmatika Magistus
- 1 Destiny HERO Dragonmaid
- 1 Destiny HERO Numeron
- 1 Evil★Twin
- 1 Junk Doppel
- 1 SPYRAL
- 1 @Ignister
The new OCG 2021.10 format saw Destiny HERO Brave Phantom Knights quickly rise up to the top and become the deck to beat. GenGen, Ohashi (おーはし) and Yuuki (ゆうき) came up with a counter play of playing Super Polymerization to use the opponent’s Destiny HERO – Destroy Phoenix Enforcer and Number F0: Utopic Draco Future to Fusion Summon Gilti-Gearfried the Magical Steel Knight.
The threat of Gilti-Gearfried the Magical Steel Knight saw Phantom Knights players abandon Number F0: Utopic Draco Future and opt for I:P Masquerena instead. This in turn saw the shift to using Predaplant Dragostapelia or Starving Venom Fusion Dragon for Super Polymerization.
Number 80: Rhapsody in Berserk is used together with The Phantom Knights of Break Sword as an efficient method to destroy Destiny HERO – Destroy Phoenix Enforcer and then banish it from the graveyard. If 1 of the 2 targeted monsters leaves the field, The Phantom Knights of Break Sword ① effect will still resolve and destroy the remaining target. So even if Destiny HERO – Destroy Phoenix Enforcer ② effect is chained to destroy itself and another card, it would not stop The Phantom Knights of Break Sword from destroying itself and triggering its ② effect.
Kabao (カバオ) finished 2nd in “Asaka Cup (2v2 Team Battle)” which had 46 teams (92 participants).
Yoshishin (ヨシシン) went 7-0-1 and finished 1st in “Asaka Cup (2v2 Team Battle)” which had 46 teams (92 participants).
To improve their match-up against Phantom Knights, Destiny HERO Zoodiac Tri-Brigade build has switched Zoodiac Kataroost back to Zoodiac Ramram. While Zoodiac Boarbow has Zoodiac Ramram as its Xyz Material, it gains an effect that can be used to prevent Phantom Knights’ Fog Blade effect from negating it. This ensures that Zoodiac Boarbow would be able to direct attack successfully so it could be used to Xyz Summon Divine Arsenal AA-ZEUS – Sky Thunder.
Yamato (ヤマト) went 6-0-1 (excluding 1 bye) and finished 2nd in “Asaka Cup (2v2 Team Battle)” which had 46 teams (92 participants).
He ran 2 Super Polymerization in the Side Deck and had 1 Gilti-Gearfried the Magical Steel Knight, 1 Predaplant Dragostapelia in the Extra Deck against Phantom Knights. Gilti-Gearfried the Magical Steel Knight ① effect can be used to negate any effects that targets it, allowing it to play through Phantom Knights’ Fog Blade.
Sea (しい) finished 1st in “Asaka Cup (2v2 Team Battle)” which had 46 teams (92 participants).
The popularity of the Brave package and the easy access to Wandering Gryphon Rider puts a clock on ‘hand traps’. To be viable, a ‘hand trap’ has to be able to be activated before Wandering Gryphon Rider hits the field such as Maxx “C” and Artifact Lancea, or has to be able to disrupt Wandering Gryphon Rider from coming out such as Ash Blossom & Joyous Spring against Aquamancer of the Sanctuary and Ghost Ogre & Snow Rabbit against Journey of Destiny.
Droll & Lock Bird is a reasonable counter against Destiny HERO Brave Phantom Knights. It can be activated after Aquamancer of the Sanctuary adds Rite of Aramesia to hand, and thus preventing Journey of Destiny from getting Wandering Gryphon Rider. If the opponent opens straight with Rite of Aramesia, then Droll & Lock Bird could only be activate after Journey of Destiny adds Wandering Gryphon Rider or Dracoback the Dragon Steed to hand. This would at least still stop the graveyard effect of The Phantom Knights of Silent Boots and The Phantom Knights of Ancient Cloak from being activated later in the turn.
The early OCG 2021.10 format has Phantom Knights, Tri-Brigade, Prank-Kids and Swordsoul taking the lead. All 4 decks are running Destiny HERO and/or Brave package.
The current format revolves heavily around Destiny HERO – Destroy Phoenix Enforcer and Brave as over 70% of the top decks are running the Destiny HERO and/or the Brave package. In the previous OCG 2021.07 format, 2 – 3 Nibiru, the Primal Being was often played in the Side Deck, but now most players have dropped Nibiru, the Primal Being from their decks. Destiny HERO – Destroy Phoenix Enforcer can chain its effect to destroy itself and another card against Nibiru, the Primal Being, and Special Summon itself from the graveyard during the next Standby Phase. Wandering Gryphon Rider can be Special Summoned by the 5th Summon just in time to negate Nibiru, the Primal Being.
Many ‘hand traps’ has become ineffective due to the consistency that Brave could bring out Wandering Gryphon Rider. Rather than trying to actively disrupt their opponent’s plays with ‘hand traps’, players are now going for Forbidden Droplet and Dark Ruler No More to break their opponent’s board.
If you enjoyed these Weekly Metagame Reports, consider supporting Road of the King on Patreon. Cheers!
- 2021-09-29 | 47th Next Play Cup
- 2021-09-26 | Asaka Cup (2v2 Team Battle)
- 2021-09-26 | 54th Taiyo CS
- 2021-09-26 | Gogiga CS 3v3 Team Battle
- 2021-09-26 | 4th (a-sports) Analog Sports CS (1st: A, B, C | 2nd: A, B, C | 3rd: A, B, C | 4th: A, B, C)
- 2021-09-26 | 5th Fukufuku Trading Cards Box Tournament
- 2021-09-26 | Yu-Gi-Oh! Adachi CS in Miyazaki Trading☆Star (1st | 2nd | 3rd | 4th)
- 2021-09-25 | Sendai Manji CS
- 2021-09-25 | 3rd Taijyu Cup
- 2021-09-25 | 46th Next Play Cup
- 2021-09-25 | Peco CS
- 2021-09-25 | Dayuzhou TCG Shuitaguan CS October Ban List Trial Tournament
- 2021-09-25 | Wushan Champions League
- 2021-09-22 | 45th Next Play Cup
- 2021-09-21 | 200th Oretachi Trading Card Club CS
- 2021-09-20 | 4th Fukui CS
- 2021-09-20 | 10th Wayo CS (1st: A, B, C | 2nd: A, B, C | 3rd: A, B, C)
- 2021-09-20 | 53rd Taiyo CS
- 2021-09-20 | Zhongshan DM Zhongzhu League
- 2021-09-19 | 3rd Asaka ★ Goyusai (5v5 Team Battle)
- 2021-09-19 | 7th RAM Cup
- 2021-09-19 | 42nd Yu-Gi-Oh! Shin-Kurashiki CS (3v3 Team Battle) (1st: A, B, C | 2nd: A, B, C)
- 2021-09-19 | 52nd Taiyo CS
- 2021-09-19 | 8th YCCS in Chiba Revenge
- 2021-09-18 | Gogiga CS 3v3 Team Battle (1st: A, B, C | 2nd: A, B, C)
- 2021-09-18 | Peco CS
- 2021-09-18 | 44th Next Play Cup
- 2021-09-15 | 43rd Next Play Cup
- 2021-09-14 | 199th Oretachi Trading Card Club CS