OCG 2021.07 Metagame Report #8
Welcome to Week #8 of the OCG 2021.07 format.
This report will cover 51 top-performing decks from 10 tournaments that were held in Japan and mainland China during 21 – 25 August 2021.
- V Jump October 2021 promotional card
- Victorika the Angel of Courage
- 9 Virtual World
- 6 Sky Striker (5 Destiny HERO Sky Striker, 1 Sky Striker)
- 5 Drytron
- 4 Swordsoul (2 True King Swordsoul, 1 Tenyi Swordsoul, 1 Destiny HERO Tenyi Swordsoul)
- 4 Zefra
- 3 Invoked (2 Destiny HERO Invoked, 1 Destiny HERO Dogmatika Invoked)
- 3 Tri-Brigade (2 Destiny HERO Tri-Brigade, 1 Destiny HERO Zoodiac Tri-Brigade)
- 2 Eldlich (1 Eldlich, 1 Grass Zombie Eldlich)
- 2 Endymion
- 2 Evil★Twin
- 2 Magician
- 1 Adamancipator
- 1 Destiny HERO Chaos Thunder Dragon
- 1 Destiny HERO Dragon Link
- 1 Destiny HERO Salamangreat
- 1 Dogmatika Shaddoll
- 1 Floowandereeze
- 1 Madolche
- 1 SPYRAL
- 1 Tri-Brigade Lyrilusc
On Saturday, Kinnikuso (きんにくそ) went 7-2 and finished 3rd in “69th Garosu CS with Osaka Yugi” which had 46 participants. On Sunday, he went 7-1 and finished 1st in “Taijyu Cup” which had 28 participants.
He played the similar list for both days, except for swapping out 1 Droll & Lock Bird in the Side Deck for 1 Gameciel, the Sea Turtle Kaiju. Droll & Lock Bird main purpose is for the Drytron match-up, which Gameciel, the Sea Turtle Kaiju can also be used for clearing Herald of Ultimateness or Herald of Perfection. Gameciel, the Sea Turtle Kaiju does have the advantage of being able to be used in other match-ups as well, such as for clearing Destiny HERO – Destroy Phoenix Enforcer, and causing Sky Striker to be stuck with a monster in their Main Monster Zone.
Aroma (アロマ) went 6-0-1 and finished 2nd in “Asaka Cup (2v2 Team Battle)” which had 20 teams (40 participants).
All 6 Sky Striker decks that topped this week ran 2 – 3 There Can Be Only One in the Main Deck. There Can Be Only One has become relevant in the current metagame as many of the current top decks are made up of mainly 1 or 2 Monster Types.
Both Sky Striker Ace – Raye and Destiny HERO – Destroy Phoenix Enforcer are Warrior-Type monsters, but certain care can to be taken to play around being locked out by There Can Be Only One. Before a Sky Striker Link Monster would leave the field, Destiny HERO – Destroy Phoenix Enforcer could activate its effect and destroy itself, thus freeing up for Sky Striker Ace – Raye to Special Summon itself from the graveyard. Then before Destiny HERO – Destroy Phoenix Enforcer Special Summons itself from the graveyard in the next Standby Phase, Sky Striker Ace – Raye could activate its effect to tribute itself and Special Summon a Sky Striker Link Monster from the Extra Deck.
Asagi (アサギ) went 6-0-1 and finished 1st in “3rd Reiwa Yugi CS MAX” (3v3 Team) which had 24 teams (72 participants).
Compared to his build last week, he cut 1 Drytron Mu Beta Fafnir in the Extra Deck for 1 Black Rose Dragon, and 1 Artifact Lancea in the Side Deck for 1 Herald of Purple Light. These are some minor adjustment to improve his match-up against Trap-heavy decks such as Eldlich.
Virtual World returned to the top this week, and Sky Striker moved up with Drytron, while Swordsoul has fallen significantly.
Duelist Cup 2021 Hong Kong will be held this coming Saturday 28 August 2021. It will be the first official major tournament held in the OCG 2021.07 format. The live-stream will be available on the official YouTube channel: KonamiAsia.
If you enjoyed these Weekly Metagame Reports, consider supporting Road of the King on Patreon. Cheers!
- 2021-08-25 | 40th Next Play Cup
- 2021-08-22 | Asaka Cup (1st OCS★SummerCupChallenge2021)
- 2021-08-22 | 41st Yu-Gi-Oh Shin-Kurashiki CS (3v3 Team Battle) (1 – 2nd: A, B, C | 1 – 2nd: A, B, C)
- 2021-08-22 | 3rd (a-sports) Analog Sports CS (1st: A, B, C | 2nd: A, B, C | 3rd: A, B, C | 4th: A, B, C)
- 2021-08-22 | 47th Taiyo CS (2v2 Team Battle)
- 2021-08-22 | Xinxin Cards Ranking Tournament