OCG 2021.07 Metagame Report #7
Welcome to Week #7 of the OCG 2021.07 format.
This report will cover 75 top-performing decks from 13 tournaments that were held in Japan and mainland China during 13 – 18 August 2021.
- 9 Swordsoul (7 Swordsoul, 2 Tenyi Swordsoul)
- 8 Eldlich (4 Eldlich, 3 Grass Zombie Eldlich, 1 Dogmatika Eldlich)
- 7 Drytron
- 6 Destiny HERO Sky Striker
- 6 Tri-Brigade (3 Zoodiac Tri-Brigade, 2 Lyrilusc Ancient Warriors Tri-Brigade, 1 Tri-Brigade)
- 5 Shaddoll (4 Grass Destiny HERO Invoked Shaddoll, 1 Grass Dinosaur Invoked Shaddoll)
- 4 HERO
- 4 Virtual World
- 4 @Ignister
- 2 Agent Fairy
- 2 Invoked (1 Destiny HERO Invoked, 1 Destiny HERO Nemeses Invoked)
- 2 Kaiju Luna (1 Kaiju Luna, 1 Sekka Danger Kaiju Luna)
- 2 Salamangreat
- 2 SPYRAL (1 SPYRAL, 1 Destiny HERO SPYRAL)
- 2 Tri-Brigade Lyrilusc
- 2 Zefra
- 1 Chaos Thunder Dragon
- 1 Code Talker
- 1 Danger Dark World
- 1 Dragon Link
- 1 Evil★Twin
- 1 Magician
- 1 Phantom Knights
- 1 Prank-Kids
Mikan (みかん) went 7-1 and finished 1st in “10th Echigo YCS Individual Battle” which had 47 participants.
He ran 2 Cosmic Cyclone in the Main Deck. Swordsoul do not have an efficient method to answer troublesome Continuous Trap Cards such as Skill Drain, Gozen Match or There Can Be Only One. The recent increase in Eldlich and Sky Striker decks make running Spell/Trap removal in the Main Deck a reasonable tech choice in the current metagame.
Wice (ワイス) finished 3rd in 45th Taiyo CS which had 31 participants.
Eldlich decks has been running 2 – 3 King of the Sky Prison in the Side Deck. While King of the Sky Prison is revealed by its ① effect, Set cards on the field cannot be destroyed by card effects, providing your set Spell and Trap cards protection against Harpie’s Feather Duster and Lightning Storm. To play around King of the Sky Prison, players are running Cosmic Cyclone or Evenly Matched in the Side Deck instead.
Asagi (アサギ) went 7-0-1 and finished 2nd in “9th Wayo CS” (3v3 Team) which had 31 teams (93 participants).
Among the 7 Drytron decks that topped this week, 3 are of the traditional Herald of Ultimateness build, while 4 are the Herald of Perfection build. The Herald of Perfection build has been gaining popularity as it could run both Preparation of Rites and Pre-Preparation of Rites, and Herald of Perfection as a Level 6 monster could be used to Xyz Summon Beatrice, Lady of the Eternal, lowering the power ceiling of the deck in order to achieve a higher consistency.
Gyaguna (ギャグナ) went 7-0 and finished 1st in “39th Next Play Cup” which had 32 participants.
Sky Striker has made a comeback with Destiny HERO – Destroy Phoenix Enforcer, all 6 Sky Striker decks that topped this week are running the Destiny HERO package.
Destiny HERO – Destroy Phoenix Enforcer plays well with Sky Striker since it can destroy itself to free up the Main Monster Zone and enable the Sky Striker Spells.
Destiny HERO – Destroy Phoenix Enforcer also synergize with Artifact Dagda. As the cards to be destroyed by Destiny HERO – Destroy Phoenix Enforcer effect are only chosen during resolution, this allows Destiny HERO – Destroy Phoenix Enforcer to activate its ② effect on Chain 1, then follow with Artifact Dagda ① effect on Chain 2. Artifact Dagda ① effect would resolve first setting Artifact Scythe to your Spell & Trap Zone as a Spell, then resolving Destiny HERO – Destroy Phoenix Enforcer ② effect would allow it to destroy Artifact Scythe.
Feri, World Championship 2018 Japan Representative, went 6-0 (excluding 2 byes) and finished 1st in “Asaka Cup (2v2 Team Battle)” which had 36 teams (72 participants).
Compared to his build from last week, he swapped out 1 Harpie’s Feather Duster, 1 Infinite Impermanence from the Main Deck, and added in 1 Nibiru, the Primal Being, 1 Effect Veiler.
Effect Veiler has been seeing play in various decks, Sky Striker uses Effect Veiler to Link climb from Crystron Halqifibrax to Selene, Queen of the Master Magicians and then Accesscode Talker, while Tenyi Swordsoul uses Effect Veiler together with a Level 7 Tenyi monster for Synchro Summoning. This makes it reasonable to run both Effect Veiler and Infinite Impermanence for Crossout Designator.
The disparity between the top decks in the metagame have further shrunken this week. The top decks Swordsoul, Eldlich, Drytron, Sky Striker and Tri-Brigade have just a deck count difference apart from each other. It is plausible that the metagame will continue to shift in the coming weeks and there might be some displacement among the top decks.
If you enjoyed these Weekly Metagame Reports, consider supporting Road of the King on Patreon. Cheers!
- 2021-08-18 | 39th Next Play Cup
- 2021-08-15 | Asaka Cup (2v2 Team Battle)
- 2021-08-15 | 11th Echigo YCS 3v3 Team Battle
- 2021-08-15 | Mirin CS Individual Battle (1st | 2nd | 3 – 4th: A, B)
- 2021-08-15 | Tsukiyo CS
- 2021-08-15 | 45th Taiyo CS
- 2021-08-15 | Evening Star Cards Ranking Tournament
- 2021-08-15 | Xinxin Cards Newcomer Promotion Tournament
- 2021-08-14 | 6th RAM Cup (1st | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5 – 8th: A, B, C, D)
- 2021-08-14 | 10th Echigo YCS Individual Battle
- 2021-08-14 | 9th Wayo CS (1st: A, B, C | 2nd: A, B, C | 3rd: A, B, C)
- 2021-08-14 | DDD Different Dimension Cards Ranking Tournament
- 2021-08-13 | Asaka Cup (2v2 Team Battle)