OCG 2017.01 Metagame Report #1, #2
Welcome to Week #1, #2 of the OCG 2017.01 format.
After a short break over the New Year weekend, tournaments are now back on schedule and a couple of major tournaments were held over the last weekend.
This report will cover 75 top-performing decks from 15 tournaments that were held in Japan, China, Philippines and Taiwan during 1 – 9 January 2017.
- 23 Zoodiac (8 Kaiju, 1 Artifact, 1 Artifact Paleozoic variant)
- 18 Infernoid (10 Lawnmowing Zoodiac, 4 Zoodiac, 3 Lawnmowing, 1 Lawnmowing Kaiju Zoodiac variant)
- 16 Invoked (11 Zoodiac, 2 Artifact Windwitch, 2 Artifact Zoodiac, 1 Kaiju Zoodiac variant)
- 7 Zoodiac Metalfoes
- 4 Zoodiac Magician
- 7 Others:
- 1 Artifact Red-Eyes
- 1 Barrier Statue
- 1 Chain Burn
- 1 Frog Paleozoic
- 1 Lawnmowing Zoodiac Lightsworn
- 1 Lawnmowing Zoodiac Shiranui Lightsworn
- 1 Zoodiac Kozmo
In a surprise turn of events, Zoodiac returns as the most popular top-placing deck for the initial weeks of OCG 2017.01.
Notable Japanese players, Hiyama Shunsuke (2015, 2016 World Champion) and Momiji Daiki (World Championship 2016 Quarter-Finalist), were playing mono Zoodiac and won the 28th Adachi CS together as a team.
Here is a video of the 28th Adachi CS Final Match, Hiyama (Zoodiac) vs Tommy (Zoodiac Invoked): 第28回足立CS決勝戦.
Lawnmowing Zoodiac Infernoid has cement itself as the leading Infernoid build.
Interestingly, a couple of players are playing Interrupted Kaiju Slumber in the Side Deck.
This opens up an alternative play for the Zoodiac Infernoid player to go into the Kaiju Zoodiac combo in the event that the opponent activates Artifact Lancea and locks out their Infernoids.
Invoked struggles as players are now prepared with Artifact Lancea against them.
In a similar fashion as Infernoid, Zoodiac Invoked players are running Interrupted Kaiju Slumber in the Side Deck to prevent being single-handedly shut down by Artifact Lancea or Dimensional Barrier.
With Zoodiac Hammerkong and Zoodiac Chakanine joining from Maximum Crisis, Zoodiac is set to remain as one of the top decks to beat in the upcoming weeks.
- 2017-01-09 | 155th ALANN CUP
- 2017-01-09 | Tokyo Yu-Gi CS in Itabashi
- 2017-01-08 | 53rd Aichi CS Individual Battle with Hatti CS
- 2017-01-08 | 53rd Aichi CS Team Battle with Hatti CS (1st, 2nd)
- 2017-01-08 | Ore Turn CS
- 2017-01-08 | 4th Hatti CS with Toycomp Cup
- 2017-01-08 | 8th Miyazaki CS
- 2017-01-08 | Asia Championship 2017 Philippines Winter Qualifier
- 2017-01-07 | Asia Championship 2017 Southern Taiwan Winter Pre-Qualifier
- 2017-01-07 | 16th Duelio Hobby Station CS with Hatti CS
- 2017-01-07 | 9th Nazca Cup
- 2017-01-07 | 28th Adachi CS
- 2017-01-04 | Tokyo Yu-Gi CS
- 2017-01-02 | Duel City China Yu-Gi-Oh! Super League Chongqing
- 2017-01-01 | Duel City China Yu-Gi-Oh! Super League Beijing