OCG 2021.04 Metagame Report #7, #8
Welcome to Week #7, #8 of the OCG 2021.04 format.
This report will tabulate 112 top-performing decks from 21 tournaments that were held in Japan and China Mainland during 15 – 26 May 2021.
Update: Revised with additional data from “Weidahangdao Jiaxin CS Ranking Tournament” (2021-05-23).
- Structure Deck: Cyber Style’s Successor
- V Jump July 2021 promotional card
- Harpie’s Pet Dragon – Fearsome Fire Blast
- Duelist Pack: Duelists of Whirlwind
- 26 Tri-Brigade (25 Zoodiac Tri-Brigade, 1 Tri-Brigade)
- 16 Virtual World
- 8 Drytron
- 7 Endymion
- 7 Zoodiac
- 6 Code Talker
- 5 Dragonmaid
- 5 Orcust (4 Orcust, 1 Scrap Orcust)
- 4 Prank-Kids
- 3 Eldlich (1 Eldlich, 1 Ancient Warriors Eldlich, 1 Dogmatika Eldlich)
- 3 Shaddoll (2 Invoked Shaddoll, 1 Grass Invoked Shaddoll)
- 3 Thunder Dragon (2 Chaos Thunder Dragon, 1 Thunder Dragon)
- 3 @Ignister
- 2 Magician
- 2 Phantom Knights (1 Phantom Knights, 1 Grass Phantom Knights)
- 2 Sky Striker
- 2 Tri-Brigade Lyrilusc
- 1 Danger Dark World
- 1 Dragunity
- 1 Evil★Twin
- 1 Kaiju Luna
- 1 Megalith
- 1 Numeron
- 1 Salamangreat
- 1 Zefra
Fansa (ファンサ) went 7-0 and finished 1st in “21st Next Play Cup” which had 32 participants.
He has been playing Salamangreat up until the OCG 2021.01 format, but has decided to switch over to Zoodiac Tri-Brigade for the OCG 2021.04 format. He jests that Tri-Brigade is the modern Salamangreat, and indeed there are some similarities. Salamangreat Gazelle and Tri-Brigade Fraktall fills the graveyard, Salamangreat Circle and Fire Formation – Tenki improves consistency, Salamangreat Sunlight Wolf and Tri-Brigade Revolt generates card advantage. Overall in terms of playstyle, both are midrange decks.
Interestingly in the OCG 2019.04 format when Salamangreat was one of the top decks to beat, was the rise of Mystic Mine. 2 years later in the OCG 2021.04 format when Tri-Brigade is the top deck to beat, Mystic Mine saw another resurgence in the metagame.
Sea (しい) went 6-1-1 and finished 2nd in “Asaka Cup (Individual Battle)” which had 54 participants. This is his fourth consecutive week topping with the exact same deck build.
On his Peing question box (しい), he answered a question regarding what Attribute to declare for True King of All Calamities when the opponent’s deck is unknown.
FIRE → Stops Tri-Brigade Fraktall and Tri-Brigade Kitt effects from filling the graveyard.
LIGHT → Stops Eldlich the Golden Lord effect from taking out Virtual World Gate – Chuche, and then getting locked out by Continuous Traps.
These two are his main considerations for the current metagame. In the recent tournament that he played, he did not have the chance to go first for Game 1, so he can’t remember his choices, but he is leaning towards declaring LIGHT Attribute.
The metagame remains largely stable as we inch towards the end of the OCG 2021.04 format, Tri-Brigade takes the lead with Virtual World behind.
Necrovalley is another Field Spell that has become a popular tech against the metagame. Against Tri-Brigade, Necrovalley stops Tri-Brigade monsters ① effect and Tri-Brigade Revolt. Against Virtual World, Necrovalley stops Special Summons from the graveyard such as Virtual World Oto-Hime – Toutou, Virtual World Hime – Nyannyan, Virtual World Roshi – Laolao, and also stops the graveyard effects of Virtual World Gate – Qinglong, Virtual World Gate – Chuche and Virtual World Gate – Xuanwu. Endymion has been successful with running Necrovalley in the Main Deck, while having Mystic Mine and Secret Village of the Spellcasters as options in the Side Deck.
Lyrilusc has powered up with several new cards from Duelist Pack: Duelists of Whirlwind. Tri-Brigade Lyrilusc is currently the most successfully build, having achieved a 1st-place and a 2nd-place finish in two separate tournaments.
If you enjoyed these Weekly Metagame Reports, consider supporting Road of the King on Patreon. Cheers!
- 2021-05-26 | 21st Next Play Cup
- 2021-05-23 | Asaka Cup Trial★Fes
- 2021-05-23 | Sasazuka CS in Shimokitazawa (1st | 2nd | 3 – 4th: A, B)
- 2021-05-23 | 33rd Taiyo CS
- 2021-05-23 | Weidahangdao Jiaxin CS Ranking Tournament
- 2021-05-22 | 3rd RAM Cup (1st | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5 – 8th: A, B, C, D)
- 2021-05-22 | Dayuzhou TCG 3v3 Team Tournament
- 2021-05-22 | Qidian Cards Ranking Tournament
- 2021-05-22 | Evening Star Cards Ranking Tournament
- 2021-05-19 | 20th Next Play Cup
- 2021-05-16 | Asaka Cup (Individual Battle)
- 2021-05-16 | 32nd Taiyo CS (2v2 Team Battle)
- 2021-05-16 | Weidahangdao Jiaxin CS Ranking Tournament
- 2021-05-16 | South China Agricultural University College Cup
- 2021-05-15 | Asaka Cup (2v2 Team Battle)
- 2021-05-15 | Sasazuka CS in Hommachi→Shimokitazawa (1st | 2nd | 3 – 4th: A, B)
- 2021-05-15 | 5th Wayo CS (1st: A, B, C | 2nd: A, B, C | 3rd: A, B, C | 4th: A, B, C)
- 2021-05-15 | China City Tournament Shanghai 2021
- 2021-05-15 | Qidian Cards Ranking Tournament
- 2021-05-15 | CC Board Game Club Jiangnan Branch Ranking Tournament
- 2021-05-15 | DDD Different Dimension Cards Ranking Tournament