OCG 2023.01 Metagame Report #9, #10, #11
Welcome to Week #9, #10, #11 of the OCG 2023.01 format.
This report will tabulate 312 top-performing decks from 46 tournaments that were held in Japan, China Mainland, Philippines, Taiwan, Thailand, South Korea and Vietnam during 23 February – 12 March 2023.
New Product Release
- V Jump April 2023 promotional card: Saincred Magician
- 83 Tearlaments (79 Ishizu Tearlaments, 3 Ishizu Kashtira Tearlaments, 1 Shaddoll Ishizu Tearlaments)
- 26 Kashtira
- 25 Adamancipator (21 Grass Superheavy Samurai Ishizu Vernusylph Adamancipator, 2 Fossil Vernusylph Adamancipator, 1 Grass Ishizu Vernusylph Adamancipator, 1 Vernusylph Adamancipator)
- 25 Purrely (22 Purrely, 3 Ishizu Purrely)
- 19 Bystial (7 Spright Bystial, 6 Superheavy Samurai Bystial, 3 P.U.N.K. Bystial, 2 Adventurer Bystial, 1 P.U.N.K. Kashtira Bystial)
- 15 Exosister (12 Exosister, 3 Ishizu Exosister)
- 13 Runick (12 Runick, 1 Spright Runick)
- 11 Spright Tri-Brigade
- 9 Dragon Link (6 Bystial Dragon Link, 3 Grass Bystial Dragon Link)
- 9 Labrynth (5 Ishizu Labrynth, 4 Labrynth)
- 7 Branded (4 Branded, 3 Grass Branded)
- 7 Floowandereeze
- 7 Superheavy Samurai (5 Superheavy Samurai, 2 Vernusylph Superheavy Samurai)
- 5 Sky Striker
- 4 Vaylantz
- 3 Evil★Twin (2 Spright Evil★Twin, 1 Evil★Twin)
- 3 Junk Doppel (2 Adventurer P.U.N.K. Junk Doppel, 1 Junk Doppel)
- 3 Magician (2 Magician, 1 Performapal Magician)
- 3 Rikka (2 Sunavalon Rikka, 1 Rikka)
- 3 Spright Gishki
- 2 Bystial Scareclaw Manadome
- 2 Code Talker Mathmech
- 2 Danger Dark World
- 2 Generaider (1 Generaider, 1 Invoked Generaider)
- 2 Orcust (1 P.U.N.K. Bystial Orcust, 1 Scareclaw Orcust)
- 2 Spright (1 Melffy Spright, 1 Adventurer Melffy Spright)
- 2 Tenyi Swordsoul
- 2 Traptrix
- 1 Adventurer Ishizu Lightsworn
- 1 Agent
- 1 Blackwing
- 1 Bystial Buster Blader
- 1 Evil Eye
- 1 Grass Ishizu Tearlaments Shaddoll
- 1 Grass Superheavy Samurai Ishizu Thunder Dragon P.U.N.K. Bystial Necroface
- 1 HERO
- 1 Ishizu Vernusylph Naturia
- 1 Kashtira Scareclaw
- 1 Luna
- 1 Superheavy Samurai Dracoslayer
- 1 Superheavy Samurai Zefra
- 1 Tri-Brigade Lyrilusc
- 1 True King Dinosaur
- 1 Virtual World
Imasho (いましょー) went 9-0 and finished 1st in “1st Yu-Gi-Oh! Tokai Championship in NextPro” which had 64 teams (192 participants).
Recent Tearlaments build have started running 1 Trivikarma in the Main Deck. Trivikarma graveyard effect banishs itself from the graveyard to add 1 Spell/Trap that mentions Visas Starfrost from deck to hand, namely Primeval Planet Perlereino and the various Tearlaments Spell/Trap cards. Since sending Tearlaments Scream would be able to search for the Tearlaments Trap cards, the additional options that Trivikarma provides is access to the Tearlaments Spell cards. One possible usage is using Trivikarma graveyard effect to search for Tearlaments Heartbeat to remove the opponent’s Dimensional Fissure.
Trivikarma has a flaw of being a dead card when drawn and needs to be sent to the graveyard to make use of its graveyard effect. To solve this problem, Barricadeborg Blocker was played in the Extra Deck to provide an avenue for discarding Trivikarma. During the End Phase, Barricadeborg Blocker effect would be able to retrieve Primeval Planet Perlereino, Prime Planet Paraisos or Tearlaments Scream from the graveyard.
Yinyang Luoxuan (阴阳螺旋) finished 1st in “China City Tournament Xiamen 2023” which had 257 participants.
He also ran 1 Trivikarma in the Main Deck, and have Number 60: Dugares the Timeless in the Extra Deck as a way to discard Trivikarma.
S.iNk went 6-1 and finished 4th in “Yu-Gi-Oh! Kyoto Championship by Dragon Star” which had 197 participants.
The top decks in the current metagame such as Tearlaments, Adamancipators and Bystial are reliant on the graveyard, making Kashtira Arise-Heart a powerful threat. Together with Dimension Shifter and Necrovalley, Kashtira could shutdown the opponent’s from making plays involving the graveyard.
Dimensional Barrier in the Side Deck is also extremely effective against decks that are heavily focused on a single Summoning Method. Declaring Xyz against Purrely and Exosister and declaring Synchro against Bystial would significantly reduce the threats that they could bring out.
Chukuang@NZ (楚狂@NZ) went 6-0-2 and finished 2nd in “Black Luster Soldier Tournament Chengdu” which had 348 participants.
Nehshaddoll Genius in the Side Deck is used as a tech against Expurrely Noir. Nehshaddoll Genius is an EARTH monster, and could be sent from deck to the graveyard by Vernusylph of the Awakening Forests effect. When Nehshaddoll Genius graveyard effect triggers, it could be activated by targeting the opponent’s Expurrely Noir. Nehshaddoll Genius effect that prevents a monster on the field from activating its effects is not treated as affecting the monster, but is applied to the players instead. Hence even if Expurrely Noir has 5 or more Xyz Materials and is unaffected by opponent’s activated effects, Nehshaddoll Genius graveyard effect would still be able to stop Expurrely Noir effect from activating during this turn. The relevant ruling is If you activate the effect of “Dragonmaid Lorpar” by targeting an opponent’s “Kikinagashi Fucho”, how does the effect of “Dragonmaid Lorpar” resolve?
Hehe@EK (鹤鹤@EK) went 6-0-2 and finished 6th in “Black Luster Soldier Tournament Chengdu” which had 348 participants.
Running Rainbow Bridge of Salvation in Purrely build first saw success in “Black Luster Soldier Tournament Shanghai” which had 341 participants when Yinyang Luoxuan (阴阳螺旋) went 7-0-1 and finished 1st. This success was later replicated by several other players in “Black Luster Soldier Tournament Chengdu” where 4 of the Top 16 Purrely decks were all using Rainbow Bridge of Salvation.
Rainbow Bridge of Salvation is used as discard fodder for the Purrely Quick-Play Spells, then its graveyard effect could be used to fetch Crystal Beast Cobalt Eagle and Secret Village of the Spellcasters. Crystal Beast Cobalt Eagle could then be used as discard fodder. Rainbow Bridge of Salvation graveyard effect could be used during the Draw Phase allowing it play around Droll & Lock Bird. Rainbow Bridge of Salvation being a Trap card also would not be banished by Dimensional Fissure, unlike Volcanic Shell or the Dark World monsters which cannot be played together with Dimensional Fissure.
Secret Village of the Spellcasters would also protect your Expurrely Noir by making the opponent be unable to activate Xyz Encore or Herald of the Abyss. The original build used Relinquished Anima for the Spellcaster monster, then the later builds added Slacker Magician as another Spellcaster monster. Slacker Magician is a resilient Spellcaster monster that cannot be destroyed by battle once per turn and could negate the activation of card or effect that targets it.
At the end of the OCG 2023.01 format, Tearlaments remains in the lead, while Kashtira, Adamancipator and Purrely follows behind.
Most Side Decks are now packing Kaiju monsters for monster removal, with some even opting for Kurikara Divincarnate. Kurikara Divincarnate is similar to the Kaiju monsters in that they tribute the opponent’s monsters, but Kurikara Divincarnate is much more restrictive in that the opponent’s monsters have to first activate their effects this turn. Against Purrely and Kashtira, Kurikara Divincarnate could be Special Summoned by tributing the opponent’s Expurrely Noir with Purrely Sleepy Memory as Xyz Material that used its effect to draw 1 card during the Standby Phase, or Kashtira Shangri-Ira that used its effect to Special Summon 1 Kashtira monster from deck. Kashtira Arise-Heart effect to attach 1 banished card as Xyz Material is a Mandatory Effect, so by forcing out that Trigger Effect, then Kashtira Arise-Heart could be tributed to Special Summon Kurikara Divincarnate.
If you enjoyed these Weekly Metagame Reports, consider supporting Road of the King on Patreon. Cheers!
- 2023-03-12 | 1st Yu-Gi-Oh! Kyoto Championship by Dragon Star
- 2023-03-12 | 1st Yu-Gi-Oh! Tokai Championship in NextPro
- 2023-03-12 | Black Luster Soldier Tournament Northern Taiwan I
- 2023-03-12 | China City Tournament Xiamen 2023
- 2023-03-12 | Team Sword Cards Ranking Tournament
- 2023-03-12 | Illusion Legion Ranking Tournament
- 2023-03-12 | 1923CS Individual Tournament
- 2023-03-11 | 17th Lotus Cup
- 2023-03-11 | Cosmos TCG New Year Carnival
- 2023-03-11 | Inspiration Code Cards Ranking Tournament
- 2023-03-05 | 1st Kanto GCS (Individual Tournament)
- 2023-03-05 | 1st Tulio CS @ Nabe Taiwan
- 2023-03-05 | Inspiration Code Cards New Year Carnival
- 2023-03-05 | Evening Star Ranking Tournament
- 2023-03-05 | 4th Nanchang College League
- 2023-03-05 | 1923CS 3v3 Team Tournament
- 2023-03-04 | 6th Sapporo GCS (Individual Tournament)
- 2023-03-04 | 176th Taiyo CS (2v2 Team Tournament)
- 2023-03-04 | Yushin Cup with MCS 3v3 Team Tournament
- 2023-03-04 | Black Luster Soldier Tournament Wuhan
- 2023-03-04 | Black Luster Soldier Tournament Chengdu
- 2023-03-04 | Cosmos TCG Ranking Tournament
- 2023-03-04 | Top Deck Ranking Tournament
- 2023-03-04 | Manku Bookstore Mengxin Cup
- 2023-03-01 | Yeokgok HSCS 3v3 Team Tournament
- 2023-03-01 | Daejeon HSCS 3v3 Team Tournament
- 2023-02-26 | 13th Tulio CS @ Nabe with Saiya CS
- 2023-02-26 | 1923CS 3v3 Team Tournament
- 2023-02-26 | Battle City Vietnam 2023 Ác Liệt
- 2023-02-25 | 3rd Vargas CS
- 2023-02-25 | 174th Taiyo CS
- 2023-02-25 | Black Luster Soldier Tournament Philippines
- 2023-02-25 | Black Luster Soldier Tournament Thailand
- 2023-02-25 | Black Luster Soldier Tournament Beijing
- 2023-02-25 | Black Luster Soldier Tournament Shanghai
- 2023-02-25 | Black Luster Soldier Tournament Guangzhou
- 2023-02-25 | Illusion Legion Ranking Tournament
- 2023-02-25 | Top Deck Ranking Tournament
- 2023-02-25 | Hecheng Yanguang Cards 2nd Anniversary Tournament
- 2023-02-25 | Evening Star Cards Ranking Tournament
- 2023-02-25 | Chuixue Xiaowu Annual Tournament
- 2023-02-25 | Yubin Yu-Gi-Oh School Opening Tournament
- 2023-02-23 | Akiisha Cup with TOYGER Vol.7 (2v2 Team Tournament) (1st:A, B | 2nd: A, B)
- 2023-02-23 | Peco CS 3v3 Team Tournament
- 2023-02-23 | 173th Taiyo CS (2v2 Team Tournament)
- 2023-02-23 | 16th Lotus Cup (1st:A, B, C | 2nd: A, B, C) | 3rd: A, B, C)
Trivikarma can not add Prime Planet Paraisos.
Corrected, thank you.
Tear will continue to rule the OCG . They need another banlist or nothing will change.
Anyone knows the agent list?
Could someone give me the link to that invoked generaider decklist?