OCG 2020.10 Metagame Report #9
Welcome to Week #9 of the OCG 2020.10 format.
This report will cover 73 top-performing decks from 11 tournaments that were held in Japan and mainland China during 28 November – 2 December 2020.
- 16 Virtual World
- 7 Zoodiac
- 6 Phantom Knights
- 6 Thunder Dragon (5 Thunder Dragon, 1 Chaos Thunder Dragon)
- 5 Prank-Kids
- 4 Code Talker
- 4 Eldlich (3 Dogmatika Eldlich, 1 Zoodiac Eldlich)
- 3 Dogmatika Invoked
- 3 Tri-Brigade (1 Lyrilusc Tri-Brigade, 1 Zoodiac Tri-Brigade, 1 Lyrilusc Ancient Warriors Tri-Brigade)
- 2 Danger Dark World Tempest Magician FTK
- 2 Dragonmaid
- 2 Mythical Beast Endymion
- 2 Salamangreat
- 1 Cyber Dragon
- 1 Drytron
- 1 Dogmatika Generaider
- 1 Dragon Link
- 1 Infernoid
- 1 Numeron
- 1 Sky Striker
- 1 SPYRAL
- 1 Subterror
- 1 WATER Synchro
- 1 Zefra
Kinnikuso (きんにくそ) went 6-1 (excluding 1 bye) and finished 2nd in “Mini Namakobu CS” which had 32 participants.
The minor adjustment Virtual World this week is the inclusion of Artifact Lancea in the Main Deck. Among the 16 Virtual World decks that topped this week, 10 decks ran 1 Artifact Lancea in the Main Deck, and another 2 decks ran 2 Artifact Lancea in the Main Deck. As more players are running Artifact Lancea directly in the Main Deck, Virtual World decks are having to run least 1 in the Main Deck for Crossout Designator as a countermeasure.
Miyatamiya (みやたみや) went 6-0-1 and finished 2nd in “6th Tsu Cup in CB Tsu Store” (3v3 Team) which had 23 teams (69 participants).
Infinite Impermanence is not effective against decks like Virtual World and Eldlich, so he chose to run 3 Solemn Strike instead in the Main Deck. Not only could Solemn Strike be able to negate Virtual World monsters effect that Special Summons itself from hand, and against both effects of Eldlich the Golden Lord, it could also protect Divine Arsenal AA-ZEUS – Sky Thunder from being destroyed by Dinowrestler Pankratops effect.
Inco (インコ) went 5-1-1 and finished 3rd in “Asaka CS (3v3 Team Battle)” which had 35 teams (105 participants).
He built his deck for the more stable opening consisting of 1 Number F0: Utopic Future Dragon and 2 Phantom Knights’ Fog Blade as the main disruptions. Some players opted to go for a more explosive opening that uses Number 86: Heroic Champion – Rhongomyniad or Dragon Buster Destruction Sword equipped via Union Carrier to lock out Special Summons.
Phantom Knights relies on banishing from the graveyard to activate their effects, so he also ran 1 Artifact Lancea in the Main Deck to widen Crossout Designator‘s coverage.
Ryu (リュウ) went 7-0-1 and finished 1st in “Asaka CS (2v2 Team)” which had 58 teams (116 participants).
His build is teched against Virtual World, running 3 Paleozoic Dinomischus and 3 Torrential Tribute in the Main Deck.
Virtual World monsters require its target to remain face-up on the field during resolution to resolve successfully. Paleozoic Dinomischus can be used on any face-up card on the field, so it could be chained to banish any Monster, Spell or Trap card targeted by the Virtual World monster. This would cause that Virtual World monster to be unable to send 1 “Virtual World” card of a different type (Monster, Spell, Trap) from the deck to the graveyard, and thus would not be able to Special Summon itself.
Paleozoic Dinomischus is also effective against Eldlich by banishing their core monster Eldlich the Golden Lord.
Virtual World held onto its strong lead, while Zoodiac, Phantom Knights, Thunder Dragon and Prank-Kids are on the rise this week. As the format is slower trending towards more combo decks, players are running more ‘hand traps’ in the Main Deck against them. Decks with 1-card starter such as Zoodiac and Prank-Kids have the advantage being able to pack more ‘hand traps’ in the Main Deck.
If you enjoyed these Weekly Metagame Reports, consider supporting Road of the King on Patreon. Cheers!
- 2020-12-01 | 165th Oretachi Trading Card Club CS
- 2020-11-29 | Asaka CS (2v2 Team Battle) (1st: A, B | 2nd: A, B | 3rd: A, B | 4th: A, B)
- 2020-11-29 | 6th Tsu Cup in CB Tsu Store (1st: A, B, C | 2nd: A, B, C)
- 2020-11-29 | 6th Onigashima Cup 3v3 Team Battle
- 2020-11-29 | Mini Namakobu CS (1st | 2nd | 3rd | 4th)
- 2020-11-28 | Asaka CS (3v3 Team Battle) (1st: A, B, C | 2nd: A, B, C | 3rd: A, B, C | 4th: A, B, C)
- 2020-11-28 | 15th Okayama Orbis Cup Team Battle
- 2020-11-28 | 44th Garosu CS with Osaka Yugi Masters (1st: A, B | 2nd: A, B | 3rd: A, B)
- 2020-11-28 | 7th Shinjuku CS (1st: A, B, C | 2nd: A, B, C | 3rd: A, B, C)
- 2020-11-28 | Dark Magician Tournament Wuhan