OCG 2017.04 Metagame Report #6
Welcome to Week #6 of the OCG 2017.04 format.
It was Golden Week in Japan and we had 5 days of tournaments held over the week.
This report will cover 189 top-performing decks from 25 tournaments that were held in Japan and Thailand during 3 – 7 May 2017.
- 79 Zoodiac:
- 66 True Draco Zoodiac
- 13 Mono Zoodiac
- 58 True Draco:
- 24 Demise True Draco
- 19 Windwitch Spellbook True Draco
- 7 Invoked True Draco
- 3 Demise Spellbook True Draco
- 3 Mono True Draco
- 2 Spellbook True Draco
- 18 True King Dinosaur
- 9 Yang Zing:
- 7 Dinosaur Yang Zing
- 2 D/D Dinosaur Yang Zing
- 8 True Draco Metalfoes Kozmo
- 5 Windwitch Trickstar
- 3 Metalfoes:
- 2 Windwitch Spellbook True Draco Metalfoes
- 1 True Draco Metalfoes
- 2 Greener Infernoid
- 1 Brilliant Venus Stargrail
- 1 Darklord
- 1 Fluffal
- 1 Greener Skull Servant
- 1 Infernity
- 1 Kaiju Burning Abyss
- 1 True Draco Zoodiac Monarch
Mono Zoodiac started out strong on Wednesday, but the competitive scene was prepared for them and their numbers dwindled over the week.
True Draco Zoodiac remained strong throughout the week. It is resilient against hate such as Dimensional Barrier and Mask of Restrict that are largely effective mainly against the Mono Zoodiac or Mono True Draco builds.
Shiota (しおた) performed extremely well over the week – he placed 1st in the Aichi CS (Team 5v5) on Friday, 1st in Aichi CS in Preyz Atsuta Chitose Shop (Individual) on Saturday, and 2nd in the Aichi CS in Preyz Atsuta Chitose Shop (Team 3v3) on Sunday.
Demise True Draco continues to perform decently well.
As the popularity of Windwitch increase, running the full 3 copies of The Monarchs Stormforth is necessary to deal against Crystal Wing Synchro Dragon.
Windwitch Spellbook True Draco has jumped in popularity this week.
Windwitch can bring out Clear Wing Fast Dragon and Crystal Wing Synchro Dragon – two Synchro Monsters that are effective against Zoodiac and True Draco respectively.
Clear Wing Fast Dragon can shutdown any Zoodiac Xyz Monsters by turning their ATK to 0 and negating their effect.
Crystal Wing Synchro Dragon is strong against high level monsters like True Draco, while the effect of Windwitch – Snow Bell protects it from the destruction effect of Master Peace, the True Dracoslaying King, True King’s Return and True Draco Apocalypse.
The Spellbook draw engine improves the consistency of opening with Windwitch – Ice Bell.
True Draco Zoodiac has outnumbered every other build and is the predominant deck to beat.
It is likely that we will see an increase in Windwitch due to the effectiveness of Clear Wing Fast Dragon and Crystal Wing Synchro Dragon against Zoodiac and True Draco in the current metagame.
This coming weekend we are having the Asia Championship 2017 Summer Qualifiers for Philippines, Singapore and Hong Kong (Japanese format).
- 2017-05-07 | Yu-Gi-Oh! Asia Championship 2017 Thailand Summer Qualifier
- 2017-05-07 | 15th Yu-Gi-Oh! Takatsuki CS
- 2017-05-07 | Aichi CS in Preyz Atsuta Chitose Shop (Team 3v3) (1st: A, B, C | 2nd: A, B, C)
- 2017-05-07 | Hatti CS × Dragon Star Cup in Dragon Star Kishiwada Haruki Shop
- 2017-05-07 | Zakuo Cup
- 2017-05-07 | Tokyo Yu-Gi CS
- 2017-05-06 | 1st YOU-ING CS
- 2017-05-06 | 3rd Yatchan CS
- 2017-05-06 | Aichi CS in Preyz Atsuta Chitose Shop (Individual) (1st, 2nd, 3rd)
- 2017-05-06 | 4th Yu-Gi-Oh! Okayama C-labo CS (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th)
- 2017-05-06 | 1st SUPER ALANN CUP
- 2017-05-06 | 3rd Kama CS
- 2017-05-05 | 57th Aichi CS (Team 5v5)
- 2017-05-05 | Atsu CS with Hatti CS (1st: A, B, C | 2nd: A, B, C | 3rd: A, B, C)
- 2017-05-05 | 2nd Kama CS
- 2017-05-05 | Tokyo Yu-Gi CS
- 2017-05-04 | 57th Aichi CS (Team 3v3)
- 2017-05-04 | 57th Aichi CS (Individual)
- 2017-05-04 | 3rd HAKATA CUP
- 2017-05-04 | Atsu CS with Hatti CS (1st: A, B, C | 2nd: A, B, C)
- 2017-05-04 | 32nd Adachi CS