OCG 2020.10 Metagame Report #0
Welcome to Week #0 of the OCG 2020.10 format.
This report will cover 137 top-performing decks from 22 tournaments that were held in Japan during 15 – 29 September 2020.
- V Jump Fall 2020 subscription promotional cards
- Reptia Egg
- Dark Alligator
- Samsara Dragon
- V Jump November 2020 promotional card
- Chaos Grepher
- 17 Thunder Dragon (16 Thunder Dragon, 1 Prank-Kids Thunder Dragon)
- 16 Shaddoll (13 Dogmatika Shaddoll, 3 Dogmatika Invoked Shaddoll)
- 15 Dogmatika Invoked
- 15 Zoodiac
- 13 Eldlich (4 Eldlich, 4 Dogmatika Eldlich, 4 Grass Zombie Eldlich, 1 Demise Eldlich)
- 7 Danger Dark World Tempest Magician FTK
- 7 Magician
- 7 SPYRAL
- 6 Code Talker (4 Code Talker, 2 Salamangreat Code Talker)
- 6 Prank-Kids
- 4 Virtual World
- 4 Sky Striker
- 3 Altergeist
- 3 Phantom Knights
- 2 Adamancipator
- 2 Mythical Beast Endymion
- 2 Subterror
- 2 Zefra
- 1 Cyber Dragon
- 1 Dragonmaid
- 1 Karakuri Crusadia
- 1 Mekk-Knight
- 1 Orcust
- 1 Salamangreat
With Orcust weakened and no longer a top contender, Thunder Dragon moves back to the top. Several of the current top decks relies on adding cards from deck to hand to make their plays and would be disrupted by Thunder Dragon Colossus.
Dogmatika: Dogmatika Ecclesia, the Virtuous, Nadir Servant
Shaddoll: Shaddoll Hedgehog, El Shaddoll Apkallone
Invoked: Aleister the Invoker, Magical Meltdown, Terraforming
Zoodiac: Fire Formation – Tenki
Eldlich: Cursed Eldland
kazuma went 7-1 and finished 1st in “5th Shinjuku CS” (3v3 Team) which had 32 teams (96 participants).
Among the 16 Shaddolls deck that topped this two weeks, all of them are splashing Dogmatika. 10 ran Gale Dogra, 3 ran Invoked, 2 ran Spellbook and 1 ran Mathematician.
Gale Dogra is the current popular build. By paying 3000 LP, it could send 1 monster from your Extra Deck to the Graveyard. Since this effect is not restricted to once per turn, it could be used twice, first to send El Shaddoll Apkallone to the graveyard to fetch Shaddoll Schism, and then to send Titaniklad the Ash Dragon to the graveyard. Gale Dogra could then be used to Link Summon Salamangreat Almiraj and then Secure Gardna. During the End Phase, Dogmatika Ecclesia, the Virtuous is Special Summoned and Dogmatika Fleurdelis, the Knighted is added from deck to hand.
As Titaniklad the Ash Dragon is DARK, Secure Gardna is LIGHT and Gale Dogra is EARTH, this setup enables Shaddoll Schism to Fusion Summon El Shaddoll Winda, El Shaddoll Construct or El Shaddoll Shekhinaga depending on the match-up.
Although this opening could play around Retaliating “C” as it does not involve Shaddoll Fusion or El Shaddoll Fusion, being down to 2000LP is still a considerable risk.
Solomon (そろもん) went 5-0-3 and finished 1st in “Asaka CS (2v2 Team Battle)” which had 39 teams (78 participants).
Aroma (アロマ) went 7-0 and finished 1st in “157th Oretachi Trading Card Club CS” which had 57 participants.
He ran 2 Spellbook of Knowledge in the Main Deck for additional draw power.
After Normal Summoning Aleister the Invoker and using its effect to fetch Invocation, it could be used to Link Summon Magistus Maiden Artemis. Spellbook of Knowledge could then be played to send Magistus Maiden Artemis to the graveyard to draw 2 cards. Finally Invocation is played to Fusion Summon Invoked Mechaba by banishing both Aleister the Invoker and Magistus Maiden Artemis from the graveyard.
Aroma (アロマ) went 5-2-1 and finished 1st in “5th Shinjuku CS” (3v3 Team) which had 32 teams (96 participants).
He ran 3 Macro Cosmos in the Main Deck, a really strong tech in the current metagame against many of the top decks. To protect Macro Cosmos, he also ran 3 Crossout Designator together with 1 Cosmic Cyclone and 1 Harpie’s Feather Duster in the Main Deck.
Akai went 6-1 and finished 1st in “3rd Taiyo CS” which had 32 participants, 5-1-1 and finished 1st in “4th Taiyo CS” (2v2 Team) which had 15 teams (30 participants), 4-1 and finished 5 – 8th in “9th Reiwa Yugi CS W” (2v2 Team) which had 32 teams (64 participants), and finally 6-1 and finished 1st in “Bankoku CS” which had 24 participants. This brings his overall result over the two weekends to 21-4-1.
He ran 1 Naelshaddoll Ariel in the Main Deck. This adds versatility to Nadir Servant and Dogmatika Punishment by adding the option to banish from the opponent’s graveyard. By sending El Shaddoll Apkallone to the graveyard, El Shaddoll Apkallone effect would fetch Naelshaddoll Ariel and then discard it, which in turn triggers Naelshaddoll Ariel effect to banish up to 3 cards from the graveyard.
The dawn of the new OCG 2020.10 format has Thunder Dragon, Shaddoll, Dogmatika Invoked, Zoodiac and Eldlich as the top contenders. Dogmatika remains as the most popular package, being commonly played in Shaddoll and Invoked decks, and could be seen in some Zoodiac and Eldlich builds.
Nibiru, the Primal Being, Retaliating “C” and Dimensional Barrier are the most commonly played cards in the Side Deck. Compared to Called by the Grave, Crossout Designator might be a better choice in the current metagame.
If you enjoyed these Weekly Metagame Reports, consider supporting Road of the King on Patreon. Cheers!
- 2020-09-29 | 157th Oretachi Trading Card Club CS
- 2020-09-27 | Asaka CS (2v2 Team Battle)
- 2020-09-27 | Purgatrio Cup (1st: A, B, C | 2nd: A, B, C)
- 2020-09-27 | 4th Hitsuji CS in Numazu (1st: A, B, C | 2nd: A, B, C | 3rd: A, B, C | 4th: A, B, C)
- 2020-09-27 | 11th Orbis Okayama Cup Individual Battle
- 2020-09-26 | 9th Reiwa Yugi CS W (1st: A, B | 2nd: A, B | 3rd: A, B | 4th: A, B)
- 2020-09-26 | 5th Shinjuku CS (1st: A, B, C | 2nd: A, B, C | 3rd: A, B, C | 4th: A, B, C)
- 2020-09-26 | Mini Kita-Osaka CS (1st: A, B, C | 2nd: A, B, C)
- 2020-09-22 | 38th Garosu CS with Osaka Yugi (1st: A, B, C | 2nd: A, B, C | 3 – 4th: A, B, C | 3 – 4th: A, B, C)
- 2020-09-22 | Tetsu-kai ~Ryusei no Arashi~
- 2020-09-21 | Baba CS in Shimokitazawa (1st | 2nd | 3 – 4th: A, B)
- 2020-09-21 | 37th Garosu CS (1st | 2nd | 3 – 4th: A, B)
- 2020-09-21 | 4th Taiyo CS
- 2020-09-21 | 4th Onigashima CS Individual Battle
- 2020-09-21 | 1.5th YCCS ~Yu-Gi-Oh! Chiba Championship~ (1st | 2nd | 3 – 4th: A, B)
- 2020-09-20 | 30th Yu-Gi-Oh! Shin-Kurashiki Puchi CS (Individual Battle) (1st | 2nd | 3rd | 4th)
- 2020-09-20 | 36th Garosu CS with Osaka Yugi (1st: A, B, C | 2nd: A, B, C
| 3 – 4th: A, B, C | 3 – 4th: A, B, C)
- 2020-09-20 | 3rd Taiyo CS
- 2020-09-20 | 38th Hakata Cup Individual Battle (1 – 2nd: A, B | 3 – 4th: A, B)
- 2020-09-19 | Asaka CS (OCS ★ Summer Cup Challenge 2020) (1st | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5 – 8th: A, B, C, D)
- 2020-09-19 | 4th Iizuka CAP (1st: A, B, C | 2nd: A, B, C)
- 2020-09-15 | 156th Oretachi Trading Card Club CS